Rom - Triumphzug

Antworten
Reinhold

Rom - Triumphzug

Beitrag von Reinhold » Di 12. Dez 2017, 00:25

Die obere Ebene meines Rom Dioramas, das Rom der Noblen und Herrscher, ist fertig. Wir sehen den Triumphzug des Kaisers Aurelian, A.D. 274. Er hatte das römische Reich wieder vereinigt. Das palmyrenische Reich wurde erobert und die Königin Zenobia geht jetzt als Gefangene im Zug. Neben ihr schreitet Usurpator Tetricus, der einstige Kaiser von Gallien und Britannien, geschlagen von Aurelian. Entgegen der Tradition, hat Aurelian nach dem Triumphzug beiden das Leben geschenkt.

Am Anfang, links auf der Brücke, marschiert eine Gruppe Musiker. Danach kommen die Gefangenen und die Kriegsbeute. Zwei Opfertiere, Stiere, werden vorbeigeführt, gefolgt von den Staatsbeamten und Liktoren. Die Hauptperson, der Kaiser, fährt in einem Streitwagen vorbei. Es folgt die römische Armee. Das Volk jubelt.

Die meisten Figuren des Triumphzuges stammen von Germania-Figuren; Streitwagen von Italeri (Gladiatoren Satz); Zuschauer und Senatoren von Nikolai, Art Miniaturen, und Linear-b; Musiker von Phersu, und die meisten Armee Figuren von Italeri. Da es schwer sein wird Reparaturen im Diorama zu machen, besonders im hinteren Teil, wurden alle stehenden Figuren mit Stiften versehen und daher besser befestigt. Siehe Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwhRlo8QxU4

Als nächstes kommt das gewöhnliche Stadtleben Roms. Aber das kann noch ein Weilchen dauern.
Dateianhänge
Rom Triumph-01.jpg
Die obere Ebene meines Rom Dioramas ist fertig: Der Triumphzug.
Rom Triumph-01.jpg (310.86 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-02.jpg
Der Zug wird von einer Musikantentruppe angeführt.
Rom Triumph-02.jpg (539.36 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-03.jpg
Ein Bettler wartet auf Almosen.
Rom Triumph-03.jpg (795.2 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-04.JPG
Kriegsbeute und Gefangene aus Palmyra.
Rom Triumph-04.JPG (594.85 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-05.jpg
Tetricus, Zenobia und andere Gefangene im Triumphzug, sowie eine goldene Statue einer palmyrenischen Göttin.
Rom Triumph-05.jpg (311.42 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-06.JPG
Gefangene und Beute aus Gallien.
Rom Triumph-06.JPG (678.14 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-07.jpg
Die Priester.
Rom Triumph-07.jpg (811.44 KiB) 5876 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-08.jpg
Der wichtigste Teil des Triumphzuges. Rom ist geschmückt. Die hohen Säulen grüßen: Augustus, ein Siegesengel (ursprünglich Germania von einem Niederwaldenkmal Souvenir), ein weiterer Siegesengel (eine umgebaute Statue of Liberty). Was macht Napoleon da oben auf dem Triumphbogen?
Rom Triumph-08.jpg (2.75 MiB) 5876 mal betrachtet

Reinhold

Re: Rom - Triumphzug

Beitrag von Reinhold » Di 12. Dez 2017, 00:29

Weitere Bilder vom Triumphzug.
Dateianhänge
Rom Triumph-09.jpg
Die Opfertiere.
Rom Triumph-09.jpg (317.66 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-10.jpg
Senatoren und Zuschauer.
Rom Triumph-10.jpg (707.27 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-11.jpg
Die Senatoren haben ihre eigenen Sitzplätze.
Rom Triumph-11.jpg (838.4 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-12.jpg
Magistrate und Liktoren.
Rom Triumph-12.jpg (244.06 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-13.jpg
Der Kaiser: „Memento te hominem esse!“ - „Bedenke, dass du sterblich bist!“ Wie wahr: Ein Jahr später wurde Kaiser Aurelian von seinen Generälen ermordet.
Rom Triumph-13.jpg (265.01 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-14.jpg
Die siegreiche Armee.
Rom Triumph-14.jpg (347.71 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-15.JPG
Triumph
Rom Triumph-15.JPG (708.25 KiB) 5875 mal betrachtet
Rom Triumph-16.jpg
Die obere Ebene Roms mit dem Triumphzug ist fertig. Die mittlere Ebene, das normale Stadtleben, wird als nächstes gebaut.
Rom Triumph-16.jpg (1.72 MiB) 5875 mal betrachtet

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Di 12. Dez 2017, 10:12

Der Triumphzug ist dir schon mal sehr gut gelungen, klasse! Und beim letzten Bild kann man auch schon erahnen was noch alles kommen könnte. Das wird Spaß machen, immer daran zu basteln. Ich bleibe gespannt.
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Mi 13. Dez 2017, 13:43

Great! The drawings of Peter Connolly come alive once more!

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Mi 13. Dez 2017, 13:48

Great! The drawings of Peter Connolly come alive once more!

Compared to todays standards, your figurine painting is very very basic. Which is no problem for the background since nobody will be able to see those people close or even take a close picture of them.
But you should consider washing and shading and adding more detail to the figures crossing the bridge, coming near the spectator.

Reinhold

Beitrag von Reinhold » Mi 13. Dez 2017, 20:18

Hallo Cryns,

Thank you for the tip. I will try to give more detail to the next figures, the city life of Rome. Because they will be closer to the spectator.
Do you have a few more tips what to do. You said more detail? Maybe painting some of the smaller things like belts etc?
More shading? Do you mean shading various parts of the figures, not only the skin?
Do you know of any good painting tutorials in the internet?

Cheers
Reinhold

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Sa 16. Dez 2017, 16:34

Reinhold I have been thinking it over again.
First I wanted to read your post about painting techniques.
What I don't understand: you mention ink wash and highlighting/dry brushing but I do not see that in your pictures. Except for the Gallipoli Turks.

Now at the same time I realize your greatest joy is to build cities and decors and add as many different figurines onto them as possible.
Maybe you should not switch from very basic painting style to top quality style at once: you will get too much difference between the several figurines. Or it will take too much of your time so you loose interest in making mass scenes.

For that reason I can recommend you to take steps small and keep improvements simple.

First of all consider to give all of your figurines, also the ones in the back, a brown ink wash (dark brown ink mixed with 50% or even 75% water) Especially for your white which is too white. And your skin tone that is fine but is too flat for figures with bare arms and legs. These are the two dominant tones you use. For both of them brown ink will work wonderful if applied effective. But it will also work for red, yellow and even green. Only for blue it will not work well, its a bit too far from a matching ink tone since blue and brown (which is dark orange in fact) are complementary colors.

Diluted brown ink should not destroy the original color too much so for that reason don't use pure ink. A second or third layer of diluted ink wil create much more profile, liveliness and show lots of details like in the Roman officers armor that is just plain silver or brass at this moment. It looks like you already used some ink but I can recommend you to use it much more. Go experience with it.
Remember Ink can also be used locally: white needs only one dilutedt layer of brown ink. Dark read may need 3 of such layers. Skintone will need maybe two. You can also paint the ink with a fine pointed brush to make shadow lines for belts or fabric edges, eyes etc.

Since ink gives lots of satin gloss you have to finish it all again with a very matt varnish.

Another simple but effective improvement can be created by drybrushing all figurines from top to toe in one single light sand color, somewhere between white, brown and a bit yellow. This will match with most basic colors since its a natural color that represents reflection of sunlight.
Its far from perfect. But better as none.
As an addition to the brown ink for all the depressions in the figurines, this light sand color will accentuate all the projecting parts.

Here is an example of plain painted ancient civilians that were treated all over with brown ink and all over with sand dry brush highlighting:

Bild

Here is another example: the Skytian camel drivers are dry brushed with light sand color. Its a heavy effect, done more extreme as in the first picture. You may not like it. But it is very easy to apply and takes a minimum of time. The effect is rough but very lively:

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Cryns am So 17. Dez 2017, 10:11, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.

Reinhold

Beitrag von Reinhold » So 17. Dez 2017, 07:38

Hallo Cryns,

Thank you for your advice. It opened my eyes.
As I am working on the normal life, city life of Rome I will follow your advice. This will be much closer to the observer than anything else.

Best wishes
Reinhold

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 17. Dez 2017, 08:59

Guten Morgen.

Mr Cyrns also suggested the same action for my troops and, as usual, was right!

My own suggestion is to experiment with your figures and technique. The inks are wonderful for highlighting the reliefs on the figure castings, mouldings but need moderation. Less is more as they say.

In my opinion many excellent scenes are spoilt with dried ink that has dripped into eye sockets etc giving a zombie appearance. I personally use a brush to wash and another to flick unwanted excess away.

It's a real sin but as his pictures show, well worth the effort.

Your construction and scenery evoke the wonderful HBO series, Rome. Titis Pulo for Emperor!

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 17. Dez 2017, 09:01

Sorry, that should read ' real pain'. I hate predictive text!

Chris

Antworten