The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 4. Apr 2018, 13:10

Napoleon, Emperor of France, employing his favourite strategy of the central position has invaded Belgium on the 15th June. The Prussian army covering the frontier has retreated towards Sombreffe whilst the Allied army has failed to mobilise.

' Napoleon has humbugged me ' states the Allies premier general, Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington on hearing the invasion news.

Having split the Allied armies successfully, Napoleon appoints Marshal Ney to command his left wing advancing on Frasnes. Ney arrives at approximately 5 PM with his ADC, Colonel Heymes to assume his duties. He finds his new command strung out on the march and attempts to find out where everybody is.

Meanwhile, a short distance from Frasnes, at Quatre Bras, Prince Bernard Von Sachsen-Weimar, commander of the 2nd Nassu brigade decides to ignore the Dukes orders to concentrate at Nivelles and advises his commander of his decision. As a result of this action Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky, commanding the 2nd Netherlands Division decides to concentrate at Quatre Bras too. This act of insubordination means that there is at an Allied presence at Quatre Bras as opposed to none at all.

The strategic importance of this junction is that whilst being the main highway to Brussels it also through the old Roman road of Nivelles to Namur, that Wellington's army is still tentatively linked to Blucher's Prussian army.

Possibly due to a lack of staff officers, tiredness ( allegedly hung over) or a desire for specific orders from his Majesty as operations evolve, Ney has made no effort to close up his command or advance on Quatre Bras on the morning of the 16th June.

However, around noon an Imperial messenger arrives with specific orders from his Majesty to march forward and destroy all opposition.

The scene is set.

Timeline Morning 16th June 1815 to 2PM.

French Chasseurs from the 6th Chasseurs a cheval question local refuges about the whereabouts of the Allied Army.

Bild

Polish lancers from the Elba squadron, Chevau-Legeres-Lancers de la Garde Imperial reconnoitre the Dutch Belgian position near the Bois de Bossu.

Bild

Prince Bernard von Sachsen-Wiemar, commanding 2nd Infantry Birgade discusses the situation with his officers at the Ferme de Quatre Bras.

Bild

Belgian foot artillery commanded by Captain Emanuel Stevenart position themselves between the Bois de Bossau and Ferme de Gemincourt.

Bild

Gemincourt farm is occupied by elements of the 2nd Regiment Oranien-Nassau.

Bild

Nassau troops enter the Bois de Bossu to take up position.

Bild

The Duke of Wellington together with William Frederik, Prince van Oranje, commanding 1st Corps examine the French activity from outside Ferme de Gemincourt. The Duke having approved the Prince's dispositions will shortly depart to meet with Feldmarschall Blucher at Brye.

Bild

Dutch skirmishers from the 27th Jager Battalion engage with French voltigeurs in an attempt to keep the French off guard and exaggerate the Allied presence.

Bild

7th South Netherlands Line Battalion arrives from Nivelles and is directed into position.

Bild

Marechal Michael Ney, Duc d'Elchingen, Prince de la Moskowa observes the Allied positions from the Bois de L'Hutte. Lieutenant-general Honore-Charles, Comte Reille commanding 2nd Corps is vary of being ambushed by the Allies. The undulating terrain and tall crops mean that the Allied dispositions are almost invisible to the French.

Bild

However, the Emperor's orders must be obeyed, Avant mes braves, a Bruxelles!

Wolfgang
Administrator

Re: The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Mi 4. Apr 2018, 14:54

Hi Chris, sehr schöner Beginn!

Das ist ein bisschen wie ein Film als Serie. Die Bildperspektiven sind wieder wie immer sehr schön gewählt. So macht Geschichte in Miniaturen Spaß!!! ;)
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mi 4. Apr 2018, 16:33

In one word: WOW!!!!!
The settings are just brilliant.
Keep it up.

Sala

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 18. Apr 2018, 20:16

Apologies but it seems that Post Image has had problems with its server meaning all forum links are severed. The advice is to repost the links.

I have done this and perhaps a moderator could remove the first post as the links are currently dead.

I am now as I am hopefully back in business preparing 2PM.

Napoleon, Emperor of France, employing his favourite strategy of the central position has invaded Belgium on the 15th June. The Prussian army covering the frontier has retreated towards Sombreffe whilst the Allied army has failed to mobilise.

' Napoleon has humbugged me ' states the Allies premier general, Sir Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington on hearing the invasion news.

Having split the Allied armies successfully, Napoleon appoints Marshal Ney to command his left wing advancing on Frasnes. Ney arrives at approximately 5 PM with his ADC, Colonel Heymes to assume his duties. He finds his new command strung out on the march and attempts to find out where everybody is.

Meanwhile, a short distance from Frasnes, at Quatre Bras, Prince Bernard Von Sachsen-Weimar, commander of the 2nd Nassu brigade decides to ignore the Dukes orders to concentrate at Nivelles and advises his commander of his decision. As a result of this action Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky, commanding the 2nd Netherlands Division decides to concentrate at Quatre Bras too. This act of insubordination means that there is at an Allied presence at Quatre Bras as opposed to none at all.

The strategic importance of this junction is that whilst being the main highway to Brussels it also through the old Roman road of Nivelles to Namur, that Wellington's army is still tentatively linked to Blucher's Prussian army.

Possibly due to a lack of staff officers, tiredness ( allegedly hung over) or a desire for specific orders from his Majesty as operations evolve, Ney has made no effort to close up his command or advance on Quatre Bras on the morning of the 16th June.

However, around noon an Imperial messenger arrives with specific orders from his Majesty to march forward and destroy all opposition.

The scene is set.

Timeline Morning 16th June 1815 to 2PM.

French Chasseurs from the 6th Chasseurs a cheval question local refuges about the whereabouts of the Allied Army.

Bild

Polish lancers from the Elba squadron, Chevau-Legeres-Lancers de la Garde Imperial reconnoitre the Dutch Belgian position near the Bois de Bossu.

Bild

Prince Bernard von Sachsen-Wiemar, commanding 2nd Infantry Birgade discusses the situation with his commanding officer, Baron Perponcher-Sedlnitsky at the Ferme de Quatre Bras.

Bild

Belgian foot artillery commanded by Captain Emanuel Stevenart position themselves between the Bois de Bossau and Ferme de Gemincourt.

Bild

Gemincourt farm is occupied by elements of the 2nd Regiment Oranien-Nassau.

Bild

Nassau troops enter the Bois de Bossu to take up position.

Bild

The Duke of Wellington together with William Frederik, Prince van Oranje, commanding 1st Corps examine the French activity from outside Ferme de Gemincourt. The Duke having approved the Prince's dispositions will shortly depart to meet with Feldmarschall Blucher at Brye.

Bild

Dutch skirmishers from the 27th Jager Battalion engage with French voltigeurs in an attempt to keep the French off guard and exaggerate the Allied presence.

Bild

7th South Netherlands Line Battalion arrives from Nivelles and is directed into position.

Bild

Marechal Michael Ney, Duc d'Elchingen, Prince de la Moskowa observes the Allied positions from the Bois de L'Hutte. Lieutenant-general Honore-Charles, Comte Reille commanding 2nd Corps is vary of being ambushed by the Allies. The undulating terrain and tall crops mean that the Allied dispositions are almost invisible to the French.

Bild

However, the Emperor's orders must be obeyed, Avant mes braves, a Bruxelles!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Do 19. Apr 2018, 01:10

I like this "forensic" approach at describing the major actions of an engagement.
Plus, it's such an interesting battle.
Cudos!

Sala

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » So 22. Apr 2018, 17:37

Dear Chris,

Yes last week I wanted to reply to your new scenes but all pics were turned into tiny blue squares.
Glad we can all see it again!

Those scenes look very familiar to me. ;) And they look great too.
I love to see how you recreated all those elementary moments in the prelude to that battle.
You developed yourself very well in the art of storytelling.
The only important image I am missing, especially in this stage of the battle, is a birds eye view or an overall view from the French towards the Dutch, being hidden in the landscape.
You describe very accurate how the French feared an ambush.
But I think your landscape is so big and finished developed already, you could make such a long distant shot.
Because that is how the Dutch saved the day for the British.
Well its just a suggestion.

A critical question: those French and Belgian blue uniforms look pretty bright.
You know, its always the same thing I am mentioning to fellow modelers: shouldn't that French blue be extremely dark, especially in the late Napoleonic era?
Like the green of the Chasseurs a Cheval looks (correctly) very dark too.

I look forward to see your battle developing.

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 23. Apr 2018, 09:28

Hello Mr C and thank you for for kind comments.

Unfortunately, Postimage have had problems with their server causing problems but at least, unlike Photobucket it is not malicious. Nevertheless, my construction pictures are wrecked at the moment. There is a fix but I it is not fair to ask the moderator to repair every picture link.

The first set of pictures are the prelude as you rightly deduce to set the scene and inform the viewer.

I am currently preparing the 2PM pictures which will include an overview now that the troops are in position on the landscape.

This, after the nightmare of planting horsehair fields will illustrate the tactical influence the crops had on visability.

You are correct with the blue observation. However, the uniform colour is the same as on my previous projects, indeed they are the same troops, but the French staff look particularly light. I feel, as the figures in daylight are indeed a much darker shade, that the lighting has ' bleached' the colour. I hope that a whiff of smoke will sort that out but we shall see.

Back to Belgium.

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 30. Apr 2018, 18:45

Timeline 2PM

Overview of the battlefield from the mill at Thyle looking towards Ferme de Gemioncourt with the crossroads in the top right corner.

Bild

Looking west towards the crossroads with the Ferme de Gemioncourt and stream on the left. The Dutch militia are stationed on the chemin Bati-Saint-Bernard showing the difficulty facing 2nd Netherlands Division in covering so much ground with so few troops.

Bild

Bild

Bild

View towards Ferme de la Bergerie with Nassau reserves by Ferme des Quatre Bras.

Bild

Looking west towards the etang Materne. Dutch 27th Jagers line the hedge to the right with a Dutch horse artillery element [ 2nd Lieutenant Koopman] looking down the Namur road.

Bild

Bild

7th Belgian line battalion positioned by Ferme de Gemioncourt. The tall nature of the crops is evident, causing movement and command problems for both sides.

Bild

The French artillery commence the engagement by opening fire on the Dutch Belgian artillery, practically the only visible target due to the height of the crops and the dispersed nature of the Allied defence.

Bild

The French 5th Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Baron Gilbert-Desiree Bachelu, begins the advance.

1st Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Pierre-Antoine Husson is directed towards the farms of Lairalle and Piraumont supported by 1st French cavalry Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Pierre-Francois Huber.

Bild

Bild

Bild

The 2nd Brigade,Marechal-de-camp Baron Toussaint Campi advances towards Ferme de Gemioncourt but is hampered by the difficult terrain and the du Pre des Quelles stream.

Bild

This movement is supported by cavalry from the 2nd Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Bron-Francois-Isidore Walthiez.

Bild

Dutch Jager contest the advance.

Bild

9th French Infantry Division , Lieutenant-general Maximilien-Sebastian, Comte Foy commences its advance towards the crossroads of Quatre Bras.

The Emperor will reward every man who goes forward.

Vive L'Empereur!

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » Di 1. Mai 2018, 17:11

That's incredible ... I'm speechless ...: :o :o :o
In fact, you think you are part of the action and right in the middle of it
I can always repeat myself ...
The fight was beautifully presented by you and very vividly explained.
LG Egbert
Bild

CARNUNTUM

Beitrag von CARNUNTUM » Mi 2. Mai 2018, 09:04

Hi Chris
Welldone ! I love Your Landscape in 1:72 !!!! Good Work !!

Antworten