The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Cryns

Re: The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Beitrag von Cryns » So 13. Mai 2018, 15:20

Dear Chris,

Im am impressed. You made some great observation and birds eye shots showing your landscape and troops.
The horsehair crops work very well.
So do your backgrounds, especially where we can see both sky and forest hills on them.
These backgrounds, like most backgrounds, work best for the lower points of view.
For a birds eye view, as to be expected, where no sky should be visible, just endless fields, the perspective in such backgrounds gets messed up.
I try to solve such situations by digital ways: I copy-paste the most distant parts of the landscape and paste them again and again until all of the off-table background looks like fields and trees. Often this means I have to cut-out-copy-paste very lively plates, so no straight cutting lines will be noticed by the spectators. Often following the shape of groups of trees or the hedges behind the fields. I use the simplest PC paint program you could think of. So no complicated or expensive photoshop.

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 20. Mai 2018, 08:24

Thank you Mr C for your kind comments and suggestions. I am currently painting / upgrading troops and introducing them as the action develops. The scale is approximately 20 to one so still lots to do!

Chris

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » So 20. Mai 2018, 11:27

Ein klasse Diorama mit beeindruckenden Bildern! Ich war gestern noch einmal auf dem Original-Schlachtfeld, deswegen habe ich noch mehr Achtung vor deiner Arbeit. Ich habe da viele Paralelen zu deinen Bildern gefunden!
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Fr 29. Jun 2018, 22:07

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Timeline 2.20 PM

9th French Infantry Division, Lieutenant-general Maximilian-Sebastion Foy is advancing towards the crossroads.

2nd French Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Jean-Baptiste Jamin advances on Gemincourt.

Bild

Bild

1st French Brigade Marechal-de-camp BaronJean-Joseph Gauthier is advancing down the Brussels road clearing Nassau opposition into the Bois de Bossu.

Bild

Bild

Dutch horse artillery, Captain Adriaan Bijleveld commanding are threatened by 6th French lancers, Colonel Nicholas-Marie de Galbois commanding and begin to withdraw from the Gemincourt position.

Bild

Bild

Belgian Foot artillery, Captain Emanuel Stevenart commanding, contest the French advance.

Bild

The view from the Bois de Bossu towards the 7th Belgian line infantry, Lieutenant-Colonel Francois van den Sande commanding.

Bild

The Allied line is in danger of being engulfed by the French advance.

Every man must stand and fight.

Lang leve de Koning!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 2. Jul 2018, 15:54

Hello Chris,

Magnificent additions. The last two shots are my favorite.
Great use of the smoke machine to create ambiance.
Love the conversions you made to some old "classics", like the Esci Russian officer turned into a dutch jaeger.
Again, much admiration for the scale and precision of the layout. Well, for the whole, really.

Keep it up, and keep posting.

Sala

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 2. Jul 2018, 16:56

Thank you Sala, you are very kind.

The conversion and those Nassau troops are from my good friend Thomas Mischak.

He is a super painter and I could not resist showing off his superior talents.

My Nassau are a bit poor in comparison.

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Di 11. Sep 2018, 17:57

QUATRE BRAS 2.40 PM

Overview.

French 2nd Legere, Colonel Pierre-Francois Maigrot commanding, upon discovering the Ferme de Piramount is not occupied by Allied forces, continues its advance towards Thyle.

Bild

Bild

Bild

They are supported by the 1st regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval, Colonel Pierre-Joseph Simonneau commanding. This regiment has occupied the village of Thyle thus cutting the Allied line of communication between Quatre Bras and Ligny.

The Duke of Wellington and his entourage returning from his meeting with Feldmarschall Blucher discover this uncomfortable fact and are forced to make a wide detour in order to return to his command.

Bild

Bild

6th Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval commanded by Colonel Paul-Eugene de Faudouas are engaging the Dutch 27th Jagers, Lieutenant-Colonel Willem Grunebosch.

Bild

Bild

The French 4th Legere Colonel Vincent Peyris is assaulting Ferme de Gemincourt supported by the advance of 2nd Brigade, 5th Infantry Division ( Marechal-de-camp Baron Toussaint Campi).

Bild

Bild

Bild

As the pressure grows on the Allied position the remaining reserves are summoned.

Bild

General Willem, The Hereditary Prince of Orange-Nassau, leads the 5th Dutch militia forward in order to support their comrades in Gemincourt.

Bild

Allied forces are heavily engaged in the outskirts of the Bois de Bossu in an effort to slow the French advance.

Bild

Bild

However, the 7th Belgian Line, Lieutenant Colonel Francois van de Sande whilst attempting to form square, has been attacked by the 6th French lancers, Colonel Nicholas-Marie de Galbois commanding.

Bild

Bild

The French advance is remorseless but Dutch Belgian resistance is fierce.

Altijd Orange boven!

Leave de Prinsen van Oranje!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mi 12. Sep 2018, 14:38

Very impressive, as always.
Some shots are almost cinematographic in their framing.
Keep it up: the narrative pulls us in.

Sala

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Mi 12. Sep 2018, 19:25

Fantastic work, Chris!
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Do 13. Sep 2018, 14:34

Dear Sir Dodson,

My compliments for some excellent work of your hand again.
This historical event at Quatre Bras is very familiar to me.
The more remarkable it is to see how exact you managed to re-create this battle step by step.
Nice atmosphere in the pictures.

Funny to see Lord Wellington and his staff in the saddle on the back of horses at rest, and galloping away on (other) horses in full movement.
You are getting closer and closer to a stop-motion movie! :D

Antworten