The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

CHRIS DODSON

Re: The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Do 13. Sep 2018, 16:20

Hello Inspector Crynns, nice to see you back in action, so to speak.

Thank you to Sala, Wolfgang and yourself for the kind comments.

In the original action, the Duke missed, by a few minutes the French occupation of Thyle. In my re fight they got there first.

I was particularly drawn to the idea of the English staff using umbrellas in the sunshine, typical of the English eccentricity of that time.

One was from the Waterloo 1815 officers set and the other was scratch built from tissue paper.

It is my intention to add a ' confusion' factor when the 'English' reinforcements arrive until the Duke is reunited with his command.

Thank you all again.

Best wishes,

Chris

CARNUNTUM

Beitrag von CARNUNTUM » Fr 14. Sep 2018, 10:06

Great Work ! Looks very good !

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Sa 15. Sep 2018, 03:52

CHRIS DODSON hat geschrieben:
Do 13. Sep 2018, 16:20

I was particularly drawn to the idea of the English staff using umbrellas in the sunshine, typical of the English eccentricity of that time.
Umbrellas on a battlefield...
Might as well avoid sweat from the sun and all discomfort associated with it... as you face bullets and canon balls!

Probably something the Iron Duke and his staff (Picton included) picked up in India some years before.
I wonder what Napoleon would have said if he had seen some of his staff using them...

Again, great job!

And on a parting note, atechnical question : do you place figurines according to shots, and will displace them as you go. I seem to notice some wounded figures resurfacing here and there on different parts of the battlefield.

Sala

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Sa 15. Sep 2018, 15:19

Hi Sala and thank you for your kind comments.

With respect to your question the two chaps holding their heads are from Hagen and are seperate figures. One has blood on the cross belts and the other a kind gift from Kai Furman, via Thomas Mischak has not.Different types of headache!

The project is a re fight and all figures are moved as per a wargame with the pictures being the photographic record.

I do use a lot of dead and wounded and if I want something specific I will either make them or swap an existing chap if necessary.

Art Miniturian Austrian dead are good for Dutch Belgians and Yekrol when removed from their bases are very useful too.

Schilling French dead are brilliant as they come with seperate muskets, most useful.

Whilst the troops are moved as per the rules, I want to try and create a realistic time framed vignette for each event rather than the usual blocks of troops crammed together with dice and coffee cups galore.

Thank you again.

Best wishes,

Chris

Kostis Ornerakis

Beitrag von Kostis Ornerakis » Sa 15. Sep 2018, 17:13

Respect for your amazing work!!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Sa 15. Sep 2018, 19:06

Thanks for the precisions, Chris.

Sala

CARNUNTUM

Beitrag von CARNUNTUM » So 16. Sep 2018, 10:46

Hello

I realy like Your Landscaping .

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 16. Sep 2018, 11:02

Thank you once again to everyone form their very kind comments.

With respect to the landscaping, the forum pictures have been erased by Post images copyright problem.

However, they are up and running on Bennoes if anyone is interested in the construction techniques involved to date.

http://bennosfiguresforum.com/viewtopic ... 11&t=20932

Thank you once again.

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 12. Nov 2018, 22:42

The Battle of Quatre Bras 16th June 1815

Timeline 3PM

6th Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval have routed the Dutch 27th Jagers, riding them down mercilessly.

Bild

1st Regiment, Chasseurs a Cheval, Colonel Pierre-Joseph Simonneau, have caught 2nd Lieutenant Koopmans horse artillery element in the process of limbering up with disastrous consequences.

Bild

This has left the Dutch Belgian left flank in the 'air'.

The Ferme Gemincourt falls to the French 4th Legere and elements of the 2nd French infantry brigade. The original Dutch Belgian defensive position has now been completely destroyed.

Bild

Bild

Elements of the 1st French Brigade, Marechal-de-camp Baron Jean Joseph Gauthier comanding are advancing into the Bois de Bossu pushing back the stubborn Dutch Belgian resistance.

Bild

General Willem, The hereditary Prince of Orange-Nassau establishes his final line of defence centred on the Ferme La Bergerie and anchored to the Bois de Bossu.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

However, good news for the Prince arrives in the form of 2nd Netherlands Cavalry Division, commanding officer, Major-General Baron Jean-Baptiste van Merlen. The 6th Dutch hussars, Lieutenant Colonel Willem Boreel commanding is in the vanguard.

Bild

Contemporaneously, His Britannic Majesty's 95th Regiment of foot, in the position of honour, begin to arrive after a long march from Brussels. These veteran troops form part of 8th British Infantry Brigade and its officer commanding, Major-General Sir James Kempt supervises their deployment in the absence of his Grace, The Duke of Wellington.

Bild

Nevertheless, the French, led in person by Marechal Michel Ney, 'The bravest of the brave' advance relentlessly towards the vital crossroads.

Bild

Vive l'Empereur, La Victorie est a Nous!

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Di 13. Nov 2018, 00:31

Fantastic, Chris!
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Antworten