Re: THE EMPEROR'S HOUSEHOLD

Beitrag von Schuchhardt, Peter » Fr 2. Jul 2021, 16:03

Wahnsinn! Sehr tolles Teil, Respekt!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Fr 2. Jul 2021, 20:06

PART TWO - LA MAISON DE L’EMPEREUR – THE EMPEROR’S HOUSEHOLD

The carriage
Napoleon travelled solely into vehicles that were the property of his own household. Never would he use vehicles that belonged to the army itself. There were literally dozens of vehicles attached to the Imperial stables and a great amount of money was spent yearly on their upkeep. In 1808, for instance, over 26 vehicles constituted the Emperor’s own campaign train, all of them four- or 6-horse teams. By 1812, the “saddlery team” consisted of over 180 men while the “drivers’ team” employed over 300 people. All included, by the time the Russian campaign started, the “Service du grand écuyer” was over 750 strong and cost yearly more than a million francs… in salary only.

From procession carriages to travelling coaches, the vehicles used to transport the Emperor could vary a lot but on campaign, speed was of the essence and he mostly used 2- or 4-seater coaches (berlines). Some of the later campaign models (from Russia onward) had a built-in bed under the seat to provide comfort during long trips. Not many of these imperial coaches remain today (the one captured at Waterloo is still on display in England), but there is enough iconography to guide us as to what they looked like. Unless he wanted to move incognito, his personal coaches all carried the Imperial coat of arms painted on their doors. Colour could vary a lot and was not restricted to “imperial green”.

Horses used for the imperial coach were mostly “grey” horses – meaning white.

Napoleon’s coach drivers were selected for their “imposing and good figure”. They wore a special, green livery and hat. It was hard service, sometimes lasting over 15 hours a day. There were always “fresh” coach drivers and horses ready to take the relay when needed. Napoleon was notorious for “impromptu” departures, sometimes in the middle of the night. They were never announced in advance to keep everyone – included spies – “on their toes”.

I displayed them here as a fresh horse is brought in to replace a lame one. One of the drivers is watering one of the mounts.

The Famous “Germershaus berline”
The kit featured here was sculpted and commercialized by German artist/sculptor Frank Germershaus. Nowadays, finding it on the Web is akin to finding the holy grail. After years of searching, I mused on a Facebook group that I would be willing to sell my grandmother to lay my hands on this kit and tadam! A hobby friend sent it to me, free of charge. He will recognize himself here, and I again thank him for such a generous gesture.

It was quite a challenge to put together, the carriage being made of metal, brittle in places, and fairly heavy. The fittings had to be rearranged in places and I changed the metal harnesses with miniature sailboat rope. Also added "transparent" windows. Once put together, I think it really pops out. I’m glad I went that way, colour scheme wise. I think a green one would have been “lost” in the décor.

The figures
Most figures displayed here – including the Imperial gendarmes on duty by the door are from the berline set. The driver on foot is a “Salastein”, namely a converted Germershaus’ figure of an artillery driver.

Comments and criticism welcome, as always.

Sala

FSHF 22.jpg
FSHF 22.jpg (1.11 MiB) 631 mal betrachtet

FSHF 23.jpg
FSHF 23.jpg (1.36 MiB) 631 mal betrachtet
FSHF 24.jpg
FSHF 24.jpg (1.6 MiB) 631 mal betrachtet
FSHF 25.jpg
FSHF 25.jpg (1.08 MiB) 631 mal betrachtet
FSHF 26.jpg
FSHF 26.jpg (1.49 MiB) 631 mal betrachtet

dirk

Beitrag von dirk » So 4. Jul 2021, 11:22

Ein schöner Gesamteindruck des Dioramas.

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » So 4. Jul 2021, 11:56

Hello Salaberry,

First of all my compliments for your wonderful new work.

Back in 1986, I bought Fred&Lilliane Funcken's Uniformes du Pemier Empire part 1 in French language, which I could not understand at all. But that book was my biggest treasure anyhow, a book that was extremely rare and very difficult to obtain at the time in Holland, and that cost me all my pocketmoney being a teenager. Inside I found all those great pages showing the uniforms of Napoleons staff and aide de camps. I decided to build and paint them all, each single individual French staff man in uniform I found in that book. And just like you, I had to start 'Frankensteining' them :D because I only had Airfix and Esci figurines without any prefab Gereral. I had no green stuff so I used soft gummy covered in white glue to make the figurines touch-resistent for our wargame tables. I still have those Frankensteined French staff figurines and the soft gummy inside of their home made bicorns and sashes is still soft! Compared to what you show us here, my figurines are very crude, rough and primitive.

Now we are 35 years later. For me its a real pleasure to see your colorfull incredible huge collection of historic personalties. You made a great decision to choose the year 1807. I think this was about the most glamorous period in Napoleonic French uniforms. I enjoy it very much to recognize several Marshalls and Gererals, by the way they have been sculpted (most by the designer and a bit by you) but also by how you painted them. You did a real nice paintingjob. And I am still surprised by seeing uniforms I can not remember having seen before. Like the purple ones. Are those Polish or Lithuanian officers? Its a fantastic collection of Napoleonic staff artefacts too.

I always ask myself: does a diorama have relevance? Does it have relevance for other modellers? Or for historians? Does it have relevance when we compare it to all other diorama's that have been made by other people before and have been presented to the world by online photographs? Or did we see it before, many times, with only very small variations to what already have been done before?

Well, I can assure you, this work of yours has relevance. I can not remember having seen such a great detailed collection of French Napoleonic Staff figurines in one single diorama. And your ever evolving modeling and painting skills come on top of that. Like your very good photography. Well done. I love it!

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 5. Jul 2021, 13:49

Superb modelling, painting , groundwork and compositions making an excellent diorama.

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 5. Jul 2021, 13:50

Apologies there was a problem.

The imagination and that coach are exquisite.

Best wishes,

Chris

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 6. Jul 2021, 01:03

Thank you to everyone who posted appreciations/positive comments.
The rest to follow soon.

Sala

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 6. Jul 2021, 01:12

Cryns hat geschrieben:
So 4. Jul 2021, 11:56
I am still surprised by seeing uniforms I can not remember having seen before. Like the purple ones. Are those Polish or Lithuanian officers? Its a fantastic collection of Napoleonic staff artefacts too.

I always ask myself: does a diorama have relevance? Does it have relevance for other modellers? Or for historians? Does it have relevance when we compare it to all other diorama's that have been made by other people before and have been presented to the world by online photographs? Or did we see it before, many times, with only very small variations to what already have been done before?

Well, I can assure you, this work of yours has relevance. I can not remember having seen such a great detailed collection of French Napoleonic Staff figurines in one single diorama. And your ever evolving modeling and painting skills come on top of that. Like your very good photography. Well done. I love it!
Hey Cryns,

The Funcken books were also my introduction to Napoleonic uniformology.
I still own the two tomes on the Napoleonic armies I received for Xmas as a kid and they are to this day in my bookcase.
I wouldn't use them as a definite source - too many mistakes in colours/hues, but that was partly due to the printing process used in the day.
Anyway, we seem to have a sense of nostalgia.

Thank you for the compliments: I am truly happy you find my work as relevance.
I know for sure I try to go for different roads than most, but it's nice to see people want to come along.

Keep up your own good work!

Sala

p.s. The purple uniforms will be explained in a later post.

Wittenberg 1813

Beitrag von Wittenberg 1813 » Mi 7. Jul 2021, 07:27

This is splendid ... marveless ... phantastic. I dont find the words even in my mother language to honour this work.

A masterpiece in all aspects.
Grüßle vom schönen Bodensee

Matthias

Der Schlüssel zum Glück ==> Einfach mal zufrieden sein!

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Do 15. Jul 2021, 17:11

PART THREE - LA MAISON DE L’EMPEREUR – THE EMPEROR’S HOUSEHOLD
The HQ and its functioning

The idea was to display a sort of war council where Napoleon exchanges views with various Marshals and generals.
FSHF 27.jpg
FSHF 27.jpg (1.14 MiB) 405 mal betrachtet

The connoisseurs will recognize Marshal Ney – known as “Le Rouquin” (The Red head) at right end of the picture.
Going counterclockwise are (of course) Napoleon, Marshal Berthier, General Nansouty (with the cuirassier helmet), General Bacler d’Albe, General Mouton (ADC of the Emperor), General Reille (ADC of the Emperor), and Marshal Lannes.
All figures were converted. The maps were found on the Internet, shrunk to size, and printed.
The door that serves as a table was made from plastic card.
FSHF 28.jpg
FSHF 28.jpg (1.02 MiB) 405 mal betrachtet
Marshal Mortier, with an ADC, about to take leave.
The figure on the left with a map carrier is an adjudant-commandant attached to the Imperial HQ.
FSHF 29.jpg
FSHF 29.jpg (1.03 MiB) 405 mal betrachtet
FSHF 30.jpg
FSHF 30.jpg (1023.87 KiB) 405 mal betrachtet

Inside the “converted” shed/stable is the petit quartier-général.
Running this office was a small team of officers under Berthier. This is where final orders were written down and then dispatched to unit commanders in the field. It was a fine-oiled tool, very efficient (except in Russia in 1812, where vast distances impeded all communications), and run by "Father" Salamon, seated, chief of Berthier's cabinet, and responsible for the copying and distribution of orders at the HQ. He was noted for being very enduring at work.
The figure is a Frankenstein of mine.
Along him an ADC and Colonel Blein, from the engineers' topographic office (service de topographie), aided by a Polish translator attached to the HQ.
The ADC and engineer figures are Franznap, slightly modified of course, and the Pole is originally a Strelets, with a Zvezda swapped head.

FSHF 31.jpg
FSHF 31.jpg (1.5 MiB) 405 mal betrachtet
FSHF 32.jpg
FSHF 32.jpg (607.93 KiB) 405 mal betrachtet

Comments and criticism welcome, as alwyas.

Sala

Antworten