CHARGE OF THE UNION BRIGADE AT WATERLOO

CHRIS DODSON

Re: CHARGE OF THE UNION BRIGADE AT WATERLOO

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 19. Jun 2019, 05:52

Very nice.

Is this a converted Stretlets ‘ hand to hand ‘ fighting chap?

Most imaginative.

Best wishes,

Chris

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mi 19. Jun 2019, 11:44

CHRIS DODSON hat geschrieben:
Mi 19. Jun 2019, 05:52

Is this a converted Stretlets ‘ hand to hand ‘ fighting chap?

Chris
Actually, the body is from Zvezda, the arms are from Emhar, the head is from Italeri (converted), and the drum is from Hät.
The harness is made from greenstuff.

A real Frankenstein.

Sala

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » So 23. Jun 2019, 11:37

Dear Sala.

My compliments to your paintingwork. The use of colors looks convincing, very nice and also the excessive mud is a very good addition of yours.

Since you are always asking for 'critics' here you get one from me again:
Drummer.jpg
Drummer.jpg (102.76 KiB) 1748 mal betrachtet
For some reason, the legs of this drummer do not fit the rest of the figurine, being too short and too thin compared to the upper part of the body.
With the result the sleeves (arms) are more massive than the gaiter-covered legs and knees.
Which, by the way, is a common thing all of us who make conversions or scratch build figurines, are facing, again and again, me too.
A kind of frustrating it is, to witness how we try to use 20mm/22mm/1:72 scale figurines only, and every time we end up with so much difference in size and scale when we use separate body parts and try to put them together.

Anyway, the pose as an idea is surprisingly good and exiting and your paintingwork is wonderful and technically high standard.

Regards,

Cryns

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 24. Jun 2019, 16:25

Dear Mr Cryns,

Thanks for the constructive criticism.
Indeed, the arms are looking "puffed up" a bit.
Also, a friend of mine who is a sculptor/modeller told me the arms are located a bit too low compared to the head, which is anatomically incorrect.
All of that to say that you are a true descendant of your fellow countryman Andrea Vesalius ! :D
Perhaps one day I could attend one of your workshops... The last time I was in the Netherlands was in the 1980's, and I have so many fond memories of it.

Sala

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » So 30. Jun 2019, 10:25

Dear Sala,

I must thank you for mentioning Andrea Vesalius to me.
Never heard of him before.
But his work is remarkable.
And very macabre!
Its clear het visited a medical autopsy room and draw those dissected corpses as these were hanging in front of him.
How did you know about Vesalius?

For those who have no idea what we talk about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas_Vesalius

But before we go too far off topic, I whish you much prosperity and joy with the continuity of your diorama.
Salaberry hat geschrieben:
Mo 24. Jun 2019, 16:25
Also, a friend of mine who is a sculptor/modeller told me the arms are located a bit too low compared to the head, which is anatomically incorrect.
Hmm... I did not notice that but I think he is right. Well, I am not sure if you should cut up this drummer again because the painting is done so well already. Better to chop up another one.

Regards from Nederland

Cryns

Caporal

Beitrag von Caporal » So 30. Jun 2019, 11:13

Hello!

Wonderful painting. But I am sorry to say that - Tambours don't carry cartridge bags!

Regards!
Frank Herberger-Frevert

Bild

Dioramenbau
http://www.8eme.de/napoleonische-soldat ... r-frevert/

Reenactment
http://www.8eme.de/

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 2. Jul 2019, 15:07

Caporal hat geschrieben:
So 30. Jun 2019, 11:13
Hello!

Wonderful painting. But I am sorry to say that - Tambours don't carry cartridge bags!

Regards!
Thanks Caporal: you wouldn't believe how I pondered keeping it/removing it.
All uniform plates indeed show French drummers without it.
But I remember a V. Huen print where a drummer distributes cartridges to infantry men.
So I opted to leave it on

The idea was that he is carrying extra cartridges, a bit like vivandières would sometimes do, in case of a prolonged scrape.
Also, if I am to follow the uniform guide, he should not be dressed in pre-Bardin either...
Veracity/reality is often found outside of the margins.

That said, I am thinking of redoing this one entirely...

Sala

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 2. Jul 2019, 15:27

Cryns hat geschrieben:
So 30. Jun 2019, 10:25
Dear Sala,

I must thank you for mentioning Andrea Vesalius to me.
Never heard of him before.
But his work is remarkable.
And very macabre!
Its clear het visited a medical autopsy room and draw those dissected corpses as these were hanging in front of him.
How did you know about Vesalius?

I am not sure if you should cut up this drummer again because the painting is done so well already. Better to chop up another one.

Cryns
I Came upon his work decades ago while doing research on Leonardo's anatomical work.
What they have on display on Wiki is nothing:
VESALIUS - THE BLOOD SYSTEM.jpg
VESALIUS - THE BLOOD SYSTEM.jpg (436.27 KiB) 1637 mal betrachtet
Vesalius was a precursor of the modern inquiry method: a true product of the Scientific revolution. His work also inspired the first attempts at making anatomical (and true to scale) wax models :
Wax Anatomical Figure - 2.jpg
Wax Anatomical Figure - 2.jpg (433.56 KiB) 1637 mal betrachtet
A bit freaky, I admit ! :shock:
They didn't have greenstuff then (!), so all of this is made with candle wax !!

But to get back to the drummer, I guess I will have no choice but to redo it entirely ...
You live, you learn, right ?

Sala

tolstoy1

Beitrag von tolstoy1 » Mi 3. Jul 2019, 07:55

Good modelling of course. Nevertheless, I believe the uniform is wrong, although replicated in various books etc. When Napoleon abdicated in 1814, the new King expunged as much Napoleonic details as possible from the army: the eagles of course; buttons, shako plates etc were all crudely altered or replaced. It is a certainty that the green 1812 Imperial Livery with all the lace having alternative ‘N’s and eagles, would have been a priority to go! Uniforms were often replaced regularly anyway.
When Napoleon returned, the French army had only a couple of months to become ‘Napoleonic’ again and priority was given to new recruits and issuing new (but not so good) eagles.
What were the uniforms? Osprey 64 Napoleon’s Cuirassiers, plate D3 shows what was the official version: blue coat with blue & crimson lace. The French army had a tradition of flouting uniform and flag rules, so many units no doubt improvised. The 1815 Memorial museum 360 panorama has, from memory, Cuirassier trumpeters in reverse colours. I am sure other examples are out there on the internet and in books. I will start a question on TMP. There is always the possibility that some Imperial Livery was hidden away and could have been re-used but I doubt it.
Also, I tend to the view for 1815 line infantry being dressed in overcoats, not necessary with a proper uniform underneath. The French economy of 1813-1815 not being supportive of lavish spending on a defeated army……
I attach my own Cuirassier trumpeters from one of the Waterloo diorama I displayed at the first Dioramica.
Dateianhänge
P1000992.JPG
P1000992.JPG (263.24 KiB) 1616 mal betrachtet

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mi 3. Jul 2019, 15:10

Hi Tolstoy,
Thanks for the information, which further contributes to my research.
I have the Ospreys and also a great many books. I get from everything I read that the situation - uniform wise - was a mess.
Hence why I adopted to go for a number of periods: pre-Bardin, post-Bardin, etc.

The plates I have used - among the Internet sources I found, come from a very well documented website by a Frenchman named Alexis Cabaret:

http://centjours.mont-saint-jean.com/unites.php
The site (it's worth a visit) focuses solely on the 1815 campaign.

Now, I have started working on a replacement drummer to address some of the anatomical wrongs in my first one.
As for the uniform, I am currently hesitating between three types.

First one - Bardin livery, as per regulation, with the "N" lace. As Tolstoy pointed out, very unlikely, but not altogether impossible.
DRUMMER 1.jpg
DRUMMER 1.jpg (78.26 KiB) 1604 mal betrachtet
The second one is actually wearing the Restoration royal outfit, but with white laces: this goes along with what Tolstoy hinted at: quick replacement and a bit of adaptation - a tempting choice, and interesting challenge painting wise.
DRUMMER 2.jpg
DRUMMER 2.jpg (64.45 KiB) 1604 mal betrachtet

A third choice is - again - a Bardin uniform, but without epaulettes:
DRUMMER 3.jpg
DRUMMER 3.jpg (54.83 KiB) 1604 mal betrachtet

I would like to thank Alexis for his wonderful work: his site is one of the most comprehensive on the order of battle for all camps involved in the campaign.

DRUMMER 4.jpg
DRUMMER 4.jpg (15.71 KiB) 1604 mal betrachtet

As for overcoats, I am working on that as well. Anyway, thanks for the info and comments !

Sala

Antworten