ANTIETAM 17th SEPTEMBER 1862

CHRIS DODSON

Re: ANTIETAM 17th SEPTEMBER 1862

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Fr 15. Jan 2021, 18:19

Straw Stacks part Three!

My friend the good General has pointed out that a thatch type roof would be required for haystacks to keep the water out.

Oblivious really, but I got a bit carried away by our railway modeller friend.

When I commenced this project I had no idea that my research would take into the realms of agriculture, sawmilling, road building etc.

Fascinating stuff.

Anyway, having watched various U Tube films on the differences between straw and hay together with tutorials on how to build a real one I have redesigned mine with some grass additions.

I am quite pleased with the end result.

Bild

Lots to do.

Chris

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » So 17. Jan 2021, 12:21

Hey Chris,
it looks very natural ...
I like it very much!
LG Egbert
Bild

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 20. Jan 2021, 19:59

Preliminaries

I have now cleared Quatre Bras away and wanted to see how it fits together on my table.

I therefore placed some of the principal buildings in their approximate positions to see how the ‘feel’ was.

Apart from the Newcomer house which may need reducing in size and the orientation of North and South to maximise the relevant terrain area I feel that things are progressing in the right direction.

Topography and landscaping will be undertaken once my new garage door is fitted.

I will also need terrain extensions for the Rhorbach bridge assault area and the Union artillery on the Newcomer heights.

Both views looking roughly north towards the Miller and Nicodemus farms.

Bild

[url=https://postimg.cc/879YJLLt]Bild[/

Lots to do.

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 20. Jan 2021, 19:59

Preliminaries

I have now cleared Quatre Bras away and wanted to see how it fits together on my table.

I therefore placed some of the principal buildings in their approximate positions to see how the ‘feel’ was.

Apart from the Newcomer house which may need reducing in size and the orientation of North and South to maximise the relevant terrain area I feel that things are progressing in the right direction.

Topography and landscaping will be undertaken once my new garage door is fitted.

I will also need terrain extensions for the Rhorbach bridge assault area and the Union artillery on the Newcomer heights.

Both views looking roughly north towards the Miller and Nicodemus farms.

Bild

[url=https://postimg.cc/879YJLLt]Bild[/

Lots to do.

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » Do 21. Jan 2021, 18:09

Hey Chris,
it real looks fantastic…I think it gets wonderful!!!!
LG Egbert
Bild

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 27. Jan 2021, 15:55

Mr Toombs Georgians

Mr Robert Augustus Toombs moved from his lawyer job in Georgia to serve as a notable orator in the US senate before eventually joining the fledgling Confederacy. He was hoping for high office in the Confederate government but it appears his hard drinking went against him . The appointment of Jeff Davis as President convinced him to join the army and it was as a Brigadier-General he found himself at Antietam.

My chap is going to require a shave I think.

Bild

I personally have found the Stretlets offerings to be most useful especially when they are mixed up a bit.

Whilst some flash is annoying and tricky to remove the effort to make the figure’s faces personalised is in my opinion a triumph.

The skirmish set is a case in point and I have created a unit that will be ideal in defending the Rhorbach bridge ( now Burnsides bridge) in my re-fight.

Bild

Many thanks to Mr Bessiere for the shoe-less rebel idea.

Bild

Many poor souls had no or worn footwear which contributed to an epidemic of straggling. Indeed it is estimated that six thousand stragglers swelled Lee’s Army the day after the battle.

Bild

I had toyed with the idea of swapping some Zulu feet but I feel that in 20mm the reward will not be commensurate with the effort.

Starting to get there.

Chris

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Mo 1. Feb 2021, 18:13

Nice shoe-less unit! :D

Buildings set apart on an old testing-landscape: a good idea.

But what is wrong with that garage door and where is your car?

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 1. Feb 2021, 23:29

Thank you Mr C.

The garage is too small for a car to fit in!

It was obviously designed for battlefield construction, ho ho.

Der Feldmarschall is not impressed and wants to move house now that I have told her about my plans to extend it a bit.

The garage door is awaiting replacement where upon I can start landscaping and create the backgrounds of Antietam.

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 7. Feb 2021, 19:55

North Carolina Troops

Bild

My research suggests that the best clothed dressed and most uniformed troops in the CSA were those from North Carolina.

The State traded directly with England despite the blockade and ended up with ninety two thousand unused uniform suits at the end of the war.

This is a fascinating link.

http://www.njsekela.com/reference/ame/A ... rolina.pdf

Whilst some brigades were state homogenous, others were mixed. I have chosen to field three NC Brigades dressed in the state uniform. This allows different poses that can be interchanged once the fighting starts.

Apparently Lee had issued orders that only the Battle flag could be carried by the Army of North Virginia. Certainly the Texas regiments carried state flags as the 1st Texas had theirs recovered by a private Samuel Johnson of the 9th Pennsylvania reserves in Mr Miller's cornfield.

I do not want to go over the top but I feel a few state flags will add a splash of colour to the event.

Bild

Incidentally I have found this blog to be a fountain of ACW information by an enthusiast who seems to know his stuff.

http://actionfront.blogspot.com/2010/11 ... -line.html

Starting to come together.

Chris

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 8. Feb 2021, 00:52

Nice feeling when you see them finally add up and give you a first impression of mass - and quite a nicely painted one at that.
Going through this topic/series of posts really shows how the Civil War offers that extra kick in "uniforms' variations": from rags to riches, or rather vice versa.
Good show: keep posting.

Sala

Antworten