ANTIETAM 17th SEPTEMBER 1862

Cryns
Re: ANTIETAM 17th SEPTEMBER 1862

Beitrag von Cryns » Di 20. Apr 2021, 13:45

And very lively figurines by you and Egbert, so much variation is surprising.

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 26. Apr 2021, 18:44

Light artillery, casualties and doors

The light artillery were the equivalent of the ‘ horse artillery’ of Napoleonic times, assigned to the cavalry as opposed to infantry support.

As the middle bridge saw these troops in action, I decided to manufacture from Revel artillery and Itallieri cavalrymen some riders to accompany the guns.

I am very pleased with the commanding officer.

Bild

Bild

More chopping has provided extra battlefield horror. Whilst as stated before I do not think much of waving rifled muskets around like baseball bats I could not resist gluing an Esci chap to an Imex one for a more dynamic pose.

When I visited Antietam with Der Feldmarschall in 2002 I discovered a wonderful book, ‘Battle in the Civil War’ which has lots of superb drawings which provide stimulus to the imagination as well as being a mine of information.

Bild

Bild

Good news on the garage door front. It will be fitted in a few weeks time and I can then start measuring out and sculpting.

Progress!

Best wishes,

Chris

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Di 27. Apr 2021, 14:19

Thats nasty gore dear Chris, that fellow with the fuzzy stuff coming out of his leg, but its a pretty good effect and realistic too.

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » Fr 30. Apr 2021, 07:03

Come on Chris show us more...we are hungry for news of your fantastic project. :P
LG Egbert
Bild

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Do 6. Mai 2021, 12:15

Thank you Mr C and Egbert for your kind comments.

Back to Cassions

The Itallieri ACW limbers and teams are, similarly to the French artillery set a complete nonsense with the caveat that at least no riders are being whipped in the ACW version!

Rather than waste a resource I determined to convert them into something a little more realistic.

The ACW system was essentially two ammunition boxes on a trailer that featured a spare wheel. Whilst the boxes could be removed they where generally left in situ.

Bild

By chopping the Italieri box ( it’s too big) off, a base is left with a hole.

I then fashioned ammunition boxes from balsa, the front one having a sliver of additional balsa stuck on top to compensate for the difference in height.

These are then stuck to the frame and greenstuff applied to cover the gap and any holes in the balsa.

Bild

Bent, unravelled picture wire is then inserted into the balsa to provide the handles. Balsa loves wire and a small piece of copper earthing wire forms the spindle for the spare wheel.

Bild

I think, when painted they will pass muster along with the Revell adaptations I built earlier.

Bild

Good news, the garage door arrives on Monday.

Getting there.

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mi 12. Mai 2021, 12:28

Confederate firing line

I have personally think the Stretlets range of ACW figures has been a huge bonus to my project. Their range is fairly extensive and has allowed, by mixing them up a bit a huge variety of poses as opposed to the formal lines of old.

Also, due to the nature of the ‘uniforms’ marching and firing lines can be swapped without having to duplicate a unit saving a lot of painting.

This along with the expedient of swapping standard bearers for Confederate units, to represent different states units is most helpful.

This tatty bunch are itching to avenge South Mountain!

Bild

Good news, the garage door has arrived and will be fitted this week.

Bild

Making progress at last.

Best wishes,

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Do 13. Mai 2021, 12:38

The Samuel Mumma Barn

Bild

Bild

Following my rough positioning of the buildings on my table I felt that there was enough room for the Mumma barn.

Whilst the ‘footprint’ will be out of scale the visual aspect will hopefully be enhanced. I intend that whilst the buildings will ‘tactically’ be of importance, their presence for line of sight and movement will be essentially ignored.

Once again the Library of Congress has been a treasure trove of information with technical drawings and photographs.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

I have decided to ignore the flank building structures as the edifice is already huge. These ‘bank’ barns were based on a stone base with the wooden top structure allowing access up a slope and movement out through the opposite side onto wagons etc.

I used my card and caulk method to construct the base and balsa to build the rest of the structure. Whilst the model is not one hundred per cent correct I have used my license to keep the dimensions under control.

Bild

Doors were built with card and wire before attachment as experience has taught me this is easier than in situ. Door frames are lined with paper trimmed to size.

Bild

Bild

The original house was set ablaze by a Sergeant Major James F. Clark and volunteers from the 3rd North Carolina regiment on the orders of Brigadier Roswell Ripley in order to deprive Union sharpshooters cover.

Sergeant Clark incidentally survived the war and wrote a letter to the Sharpsburg postmaster who happened to be a Samuel Mumma Jr, apologising for his action. However, Samuel wrote back saying he understood the military logic of the destruction of his father’s house.

I have therefore made a duplicate top structure in order to set it ablaze as per the original.

Bild

I have left the ramp as I intend to bury the frontage in the sand table as per the original construction technique.

Bild

Bild

The camera is as merciless as ever, some of the brackets have slipped amd will require adjustment.

Lots to do.

Chris

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » So 23. Mai 2021, 12:07

Antietam topography

There are many maps of this battle available to help the landscape gardener recreate the terrain and it really is a case of perhaps, where to start?

I have commenced with my Antietam’ voices of the Civil War excellent map and by using the same scale and tracing paper with an outline of my table have ascertained approximately what I can fit into the fighting area.

Apologies for the torn off by accident corner.

Bild

This then translates into distances. Everything of course is in yards and miles so a little converting is required. I am not overly concerned with exactitude as I want the end result to look right rather than be a mathematical presentation.

Bild

Once again inconsistencies abound but I found William A Frassanito’s camera diagrams to be a most useful tool when I did a rough layout.

Bild

As usual, the contradictions from the reference sources immediately appear. Whilst I am not recreating spot heights, I do want to sculpt the landscape to be an approximate recreation of the original.

The Library of Congress has excellent maps showing the contour lines, fence types, crops etc and is excellent.

Bild

To get a slightly more simplified overview I consulted Ted Ballard’s United States Military centre for military history’s 2008 staff ride with its excellent maps.

https://history.army.mil/html/books/035 ... 35-3-1.pdf

Looking at the contour heights we see that he has the Nicodemus Heights on a 525 feet line whilst the LOC states 150 feet!

Bild

You really can not make this stuff up.

Wikipedia states that the town of Sharpsburg is at an elevation of 425 feet which suggests Mr Ballard is correct.

Nevertheless, a ‘feel’ of the landscape can be appreciated and this brilliant link from the Battlefield Trust is most useful too.

https://www.battlefields.org/visit/virt ... rtual-tour

I also dug out David Greenspan’s wonderful picture map from my childhood.

Bild

It is not entirely accurate, but it does represent the ground fairly well.

My sketch map will give me a starting point for the basic building blocks.

Bild

The new garage door has been installed and it is time to get the bucket and spade out.

Progress at last.

Chris

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » So 23. Mai 2021, 20:33

Very nice progress of your project Chris.
And very interesting information about the terrain and the topography.
LG Egbert
Bild

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 25. Mai 2021, 14:19

Hey Chris,

Amazing planning work/research here: this should be quite the layout, especially with the hilly terrain.
Not exactly like the Belgian fields of old...
Glad your "man cave" is finally back to operational level.

Keep it up!

Sala

Antworten