Dirk, überleg dir das mit dem Diorama.
Moby Dick ist nicht gut ausgegangen :lol:
Außerdem ist der Walfang politisch nicht korrekt :lol:
Bild

dirk
Re: 19. Jhdt. Walfangboot

Beitrag von dirk » Do 22. Apr 2021, 13:39

Patrick,

ich muss ja nicht DEN "weißen" Wal nehmen, sondern nur einen seiner Verwandten. ;)

Für DEN "Moby Dick" wäre dieser Wal auch noch etwas zu klein.

Dieser Walfang wäre ja auch nur für Forschungszwecke, und das ist doch meines Wissens nach in einigen Ländern noch vertretbar !? :lol:

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Di 27. Apr 2021, 15:02

As I told you before I admire the design of this whalingboat in all aspects.
The rowers seats left and right and left and right and left.
The harpoon's cables rolled up in wooden barrels to provide smooth unwinding.
Just great.
Such a boat was an essential element in historic whaling industry.

Can you tell us who is the designer of this boat?
Is the mastermodel computerdesigned or hand sculpted?

Well first of all this diorama is very beautiful with boat, figurines, sea and whale and photographic background.
entrauner hat geschrieben:
Di 13. Apr 2021, 18:49
allerdings ist da der whaler leider falsch.
Yes from a critical and technical point of view you missed the basic system of how rowing this boat should be executed in this dio:
Here the rowers sit right beside the board/gunwale/dollpins.
Instead they should sit at the opposite side from the pivot point of their oars to make physical advantage of the length and its lever effect.
But yes in your new boat this mistake is solved.
That is the right spirit dear Entrauner, start all over again to solve old mistakes. I love that.
Also your old rowers hold their arms extremely wide. Both hands should be together at the end of the oar stem to provide more power again.
I am curious how you design the arms and hands of your new rowers.

Good luck with that!

entrauner

Beitrag von entrauner » Di 27. Apr 2021, 15:26

I'm sorry to tell you, but the ship modeller I'm working with doesn't want to be mentioned. and don't know why, but I have to accept it.
I totally agree apon your other comments, and that is one of the reasons why I like to start all over with this project. the subject is just too interesting ! ;)
anyway, I'm working on the crew and I hope it will be ready soon.......

entrauner

Beitrag von entrauner » Di 27. Apr 2021, 15:34

............and we also you have to consider my diorama is almost 30 years old. I didn't know better then.

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Di 27. Apr 2021, 17:21

entrauner hat geschrieben:
Di 27. Apr 2021, 15:34
my diorama is almost 30 years old. I didn't know better then.
For me that is not surprising.

I think ships, sailing and rowing, both historic as modern, is a universe in itself.
I come from the inland part of Nederland. No sailing, just a littlebit of rowing and lake-rafting in my childhoodtime.
And so do all Austrians come from a country without sea and with few navigable rivers.
Germany only has a relatively small coastal area.
Seafaring is not in our veins.
We know all about bicycle and car driving. And maybe about horse riding and carriages.
But rowing is not our daytime experience.

I have seen plenty of excellent modellers and dioramabuilders having the biggest trouble with rowing boats and rigging of ships. Their rowers positioned with their noses towards the front of the boat, sitting too close to the gunwale/board/dollpins of their boats, or with the oar behind the dollpin instead of before the dollpin (seen from the rowers position), a mistake I made myself and that was corrected by Frankzett who seems to have more knowledge than I have.

Those who know all about boats and ships usually build just boats and ships, not battles or diorama's.

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Sa 15. Mai 2021, 00:53

Cryns hat geschrieben:
Di 27. Apr 2021, 17:21

Seafaring is not in our veins.
I feel generations of Dutch sailors, from Willem Barentsz to Abel Tasman, rolling in their graves at such a statement!
Hoe durf je!!

:lol:

Sala

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Mi 19. Mai 2021, 12:32

Salaberry hat geschrieben:
Sa 15. Mai 2021, 00:53
I feel generations of Dutch sailors, from Willem Barentsz to Abel Tasman, rolling in their graves at such a statement!
Hoe durf je!!
Those greedy Protestant slave traders?
I'm a countryboy from the catholic South, trying to sympathise with my German speaking fellow forum members who are from Austria or Bavaria so they have not seen an inch of beach in their lives because their countries have no coastline :mrgreen:

Its easy talking for you, coming from the worlds longest coastline country, isn't it? :lol:

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Di 25. Mai 2021, 14:33

Cryns hat geschrieben:
Mi 19. Mai 2021, 12:32
Salaberry hat geschrieben:
Sa 15. Mai 2021, 00:53
Hoe durf je!!
Those greedy Protestant slave traders?
I'm a countryboy from the catholic South, trying to sympathise with my German speaking fellow forum members who are from Austria or Bavaria so they have not seen an inch of beach in their lives because their countries have no coastline :mrgreen:

Its easy talking for you, coming from the worlds longest coastline country, isn't it? :lol:
Yes, but a majority of Canadians are "inland creatures" and wouldn't know a bow from a stern, despite our national motto "A mari usque ad mare", "from sea to sea"...
Other than people in the maritime provinces and British Columbia, the sea is a "distant relation" to most Canadians.

As for the arctic coastline, not sure I'd like to navigate there: too many hungry polar bears (excellent swimmers) and bellicose walruses...

:D

Sala

Antworten