DRAGOONS AGAINST DRAGOONS - PRUSSIA 1806

Antworten
Salaberry

DRAGOONS AGAINST DRAGOONS - PRUSSIA 1806

Beitrag von Salaberry » Do 8. Aug 2019, 02:12

DRAGOONS AGAINST DRAGOONS – PRUSSIA OCTOBER 1806

In 1806, as the war of the Fourth Coalition and the campaign against Prussia started, many French dragoon units entered the new conflict afflicted by shortages in remounts in the Grande Armée.
As a result, most regiments were incapable of fielding the required number of companies to form their ranks.

As entire companies were without mounts, these horseless dragoons were then grouped into two full-time infantry regiments, supposedly because all of them were drilled to fight dismounted as infantrymen (the very essence of a dragoon).
For a while, these two regiments of “foot dragoons” (dragons à pied) were attached to the Imperial Guard (but not with Guard status) and formed provisional units asked to “mop up” enemy forces/stragglers and watch over communication lines as the Grande Armée advanced deeper into Prussia in early October, fighting and moving their way inland solely on foot - and much to their dislike. Cavalrymen are not mere foot scum, as they saw it, and even Murat complained in several letters to Napoleon that they were wasted being used in that fashion.

If they didn’t see any action at Jena nor Auerstedt, companies from these two regiments fought in the aftermath, albeit on a small scale.
A few weeks later, towards the close of the campaign, the two regiments were given horses seized upon the enemy: it marked the end of their foot soldiering, but for a while in Autumn 1806, French dragoons served as permanent infantry units, and indeed helped pursue Prussian forces fleeing to the safety of their fortified cities in the North and East.

I decided to use the wonderfully detailed Waterloo 1815 French Foot Dragoons box (the only one on the market) to create my diorama.
I imagined an encounter in the following days of the bloodbath, when depleted Prussian units are scattered all over the countryside, on the move, with the French columns hot on their trail.

Whereas most dioramas on this topic display the famous “Infernal brigade” of Lasalle’s hussars (I made a couple in the past myself), I went for Baraguier d’Hilliers’ troops and imagined them stumbling on an abandoned convoy of stragglers.
As they do so, mounted dragoons from the 14th regiment (von Wobezer), part of the Prussian rearguard (or what is left of it) arrive on the scene and engage them.
The problem is that the Prussians are a (very badly) depleted squad, and it’s two companies of Frenchmen that are starting to come out of the woods to engage them. The idea was also to create a physical impossibility for either units to come into contact with one another while skirmishing is going on: a sort of deadlock. Hence the streams boarding the road, and the fence.

The Prussian unit here is based on the Italeri set of Prussian cuirassiers.
All of them have been modified to get heads with hat pointing the right way, as well as to show the correct equipment. It’s a beautiful set also, but I find the heads somewhat voluminous and repetitive in their facial attitude. But that’s just my beef with their sculptor.

This piece was built between March 2018/May 2019.

Comments and criticism welcome, as always…

Sala

Here is the first batch:
FSHF 01.jpg
FSHF 01.jpg (1.04 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

FSHF 01A.jpg
FSHF 01A.jpg (1.53 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

FSHF 02.jpg
FSHF 02.jpg (1.52 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

FSHF 03.jpg
FSHF 03.jpg (1.35 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

FSHF 04.jpg
FSHF 04.jpg (1.29 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

FSHF 05.jpg
FSHF 05.jpg (1.54 MiB) 542 mal betrachtet

CHRIS DODSON

Re: DRAGOONS AGAINST DRAGOONS - PRUSSIA 1806

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Do 8. Aug 2019, 06:57

Beautiful work and an interesting composition.

The painting standard is brilliant and the groundwork is totally realistic.

A ‘tour de force’ in creative modelling.

Brilliant.

Best wishes,

Chris

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Do 8. Aug 2019, 07:28

Tolles Diorama! Sehr gute Idee und wunderbar umgesetzt.
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » Do 8. Aug 2019, 08:47

Hello Sala,
you have implemented your idea very nicely.
What strikes me most is the successful room layout and the perspective,
regardless of the top painting of the figures and landscaping.
Overall a absolut awesome job.
LG Egbert
Bild

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Do 8. Aug 2019, 15:41

Thank you for the compliments: I had all the problems in the world getting motivated to finish this one, but in the end it was worth it I believe.
Here some more close-ups:
FSHF 06.jpg
FSHF 06.jpg (1.59 MiB) 508 mal betrachtet
FSHF 07.jpg
FSHF 07.jpg (1.54 MiB) 508 mal betrachtet
FSHF 08.jpg
FSHF 08.jpg (1.21 MiB) 508 mal betrachtet
FSHF 09.jpg
FSHF 09.jpg (811.87 KiB) 508 mal betrachtet
FSHF 10.jpg
FSHF 10.jpg (1017.65 KiB) 508 mal betrachtet
While I was creating this officer figure, I imagined him yelling at the trumpet: "Stop that useless noise: it's two companies against us. We're done here !"
It always helps to know your character's motivations... :lol:

Sala

Antworten