« SOUND THE RECALL » - SIR PONSONBY’S LAST ORDER AT WATERLOO

Salaberry

« SOUND THE RECALL » - SIR PONSONBY’S LAST ORDER AT WATERLOO

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 03:10

Hello to all!
Sorry for the lengthy introduction: pictures are below

The historical facts behind the scene:
At Waterloo, after a couple of hours of artillery pounding from both armies, the heavy brigades of British cavalry launched a charge left and right of La Haye Sainte to push back French infantry columns on the move towards the British/Dutch centre.

On the left of the farm, the Union Brigade (so-called because it consisted of 3 dragoon regiments from England, Scotland and Ireland) moved against 4 infantry columns (+/- 15 000 men) that were so compact they could not deploy in squares.
Many infantrymen were killed or captured on the spot: quite a few routed and tried to flee back towards their own line.

Known for its bad discipline in the heat of battle since the Peninsular campaign, the British cavalry once again ignored orders to come back to their line, Wellington having judged it had done its duty.

Instead, the Union brigade pushed further and further down, reaching the French grand battery and its artillery trains. Once there, the riders veered straight into the line of French guns and just kept going parallel to the battery line.

For about a quarter of an hour, the brigade – first and foremost the famous Scots Greys with their distinctive horses, but also some units of the other two regiments – battered the gunners and train drivers with their swords.
Many testimonies recall French train horses and their drivers being cut down, British cavalrymen hacking and slashing especially at the horses’ hind tendons to maim and thus immobilize them.
The word “carnage” is often used. Many French gunners/train troopers were killed on the spot; a lot more fled for their lives.

The French eventually responded by sending in cavalry regiments of their own to push back the fool-hardy Brits who, at that point, were totally exhausted.
British horses could barely trot anymore and that is why the brigade would soon suffer horrendous casualties at the hands of French cuirassiers and lancers who eventually pursued them.
In fact, the brigade was so decimated upon returning to its own camp that it played no role in the battle afterwards.

Nevertheless, the charge produced a "high point" in the battle and has become iconic since. Case in point.

Scotland_Forever!.jpg
Scotland_Forever!.jpg (295.74 KiB) 1596 mal betrachtet

The scene I chose to represent in this series of events is the moment where Sir William Ponsonby, the commander of the Brigade who has followed his men too far within the ranks of the French, realizes what is about to hit his troopers.

Apparently, his last order on that day was “Sound the recall!!”.
As Napoleonic history buffs know, he was cut down from his horse and killed by French lancers of the line in the following minutes.

We see him here, among his staff, frantically hailing his men back. In short, giving his last order, ever.

The building of the diorama:

This diorama was developed after years of abstaining myself from touching THE battle that is probably the most represented in the hobby…

Years ago, I fell in love with the following vignette/diorama:

Qu,ILS SONT TERRIBLES LES CHEVAUX GRIS (3).png
Qu,ILS SONT TERRIBLES LES CHEVAUX GRIS (3).png (945.94 KiB) 1596 mal betrachtet

I still don't know who made it, but I guess I stashed it in my pocket, so to speak, and kept it there.

My inspiration to go ahead and jump into the fray came from a Wolfgang Meyer diorama made in the late 90’s and which I only discovered after it was displayed at the second DIORAMICA in 2018.

This one helped narrow down the moment I wanted to catch. The aftermath of this scene:

14070-3235786.jpg
14070-3235786.jpg (129.78 KiB) 1596 mal betrachtet

I e-mailed Wolfgang to express my admiration for this piece and told him that I wished to build a project on the same theme as his, and he was nice enough to send me many “leftovers” from his own effort, namely many horses and figures. A tremendous headstart that gave me ample material to build upon.

Many thanks to you, Wolfgang: I tried hard to put them to good use. And thanks also for your support throughout the project.

As for the building itself, planning took a couple of months.
I haven’t counted the exact number of figures/horses in a while but last I checked it was over 120 (not counting accessories), and the whole lot took me a year to put together.
About 90 % of the figures were converted and/or scratch built from many origins: Esci, Italeri, Zvezda, Ehmar, Waterloo 1815, Hät, Strelets (only one – Where’s Waldo ?), and even someone odd Atlantic bit - a head, to be precise.

The rest was a work of trial/error in trying to come up with terrain that could simulate correctly the crops of the battlefield. I discovered the Martin Wellberg line and – voilà!

So here we go for (some of) the pictures...

FSHF 01.jpg
FSHF 01.jpg (1.41 MiB) 1596 mal betrachtet
FSHF 02.jpg
FSHF 02.jpg (773.3 KiB) 1596 mal betrachtet
FSHF 03.jpg
FSHF 03.jpg (1.29 MiB) 1596 mal betrachtet

The rest will come later this week.
Comments and criticism welcome.

Sala

Egbert

Re: « SOUND THE RECALL » - SIR PONSONBY’S LAST ORDER AT WATERLOO

Beitrag von Egbert » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 08:33

Dear Sala,
again my highest compliments for your wonderful dio.
You can clearly see how much effort and time you have devoted to this great diorama.
The conversions of the figures are a success.
Most of them are no longer recognizable from which manufacturer they come from.

The dio "Qu'ils sont terribles les chevaux gris" comes from me.
I built it in 2009 and published it on Kai Fuhrmann's website.
Below the link...
http://www.fuhrmann-figuren.de/sammlerv ... oo1815.htm

I am very proud that you like it so much and that you could partly use it for your inspiration.
LG Egbert
Bild

CHRIS DODSON

Beitrag von CHRIS DODSON » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 11:14

Hello again.

It is nice to see your project completed.

The conversions are excellent.

The painting is excellent.

The rye is excellent.

The accoutrements are excellent.

The composition is excellent.

The terrain is excellent.

I love the muddy puddles, a special touch.

Well done indeed.

Best wishes,

Chris

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 15:26

Chris: thanks for the compliments, I am blushing.
Have you sampled the Wellberg stuff yet ?

Egbert: I guess my subconscious knew it was your magic touch behind this one... The red of the coats and the brass with your distinctive hue carries your signature. It's the Fuhrman address that confused me.

Pray tell, there is a question that has plagued me from the get go: where did you get the horses for your dio ?
Modified Revell ?

And now for part two, Ponsonby and his staff.
At this point, the colonel of the regiment had been killed, so Ponsonby was indeed in charge.
Ponsonby was a rather competent officer who served efficiently during the Peninsular war

The figure's head and hat were modified from a Waterloo 1815 reference.
FSHF 03A.jpg
FSHF 03A.jpg (887.78 KiB) 1556 mal betrachtet
FSHF 03B.jpg
FSHF 03B.jpg (1.5 MiB) 1556 mal betrachtet

Here, Major T. Reignolds, from the Scots Greys, the only figure whose bear skin I left unprotected by the oilskins the regiment wore that day.
He was killed alongside Ponsonby moments later.

FSHF 04.jpg
FSHF 04.jpg (1.14 MiB) 1556 mal betrachtet
FSHF 04A.jpg
FSHF 04A.jpg (947.35 KiB) 1556 mal betrachtet

And here, another ADC to his lordship, Major D. Evans ADC from the 5th West India regiment. Although from the infantry, he served with Ponsonby for years, and survived the battle.

FSHF 04B.jpg
FSHF 04B.jpg (917.42 KiB) 1556 mal betrachtet

More to come...

Sala

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 15:34

(Suite)

Here, Ponsonby's third and last ADC, lieutenant B. Christie from the 5th Regiment of Dragoon Guards, Ponsonby's original regiment from Ireland.
Note the distinctive colour (green) from that regiment.
Christie also survived the battle.

FSHF 006.jpg
FSHF 006.jpg (1.13 MiB) 1556 mal betrachtet

FSHF 06B.jpg
FSHF 06B.jpg (1.09 MiB) 1556 mal betrachtet

And the trumpets: fun coat to paint !

FSHF 05.jpg
FSHF 05.jpg (867.27 KiB) 1556 mal betrachtet
FSHF 07.jpg
FSHF 07.jpg (984.69 KiB) 1556 mal betrachtet
That's it for today.
More to come.

Sala

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » Mo 13. Jan 2020, 17:40

Fantastisch gemacht! Ich liebe die ganzen Details und die gründliche Recherche von dir!
Klasse Umbauten und wundervolle Bemalung!
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Egbert

Beitrag von Egbert » Di 14. Jan 2020, 16:01

Salaberry hat geschrieben:
Mo 13. Jan 2020, 15:26
...Pray tell, there is a question that has plagued me from the get go: where did you get the horses for your dio ?
Modified Revell ?
Sala
Hey Sala,
I used kits from Esci No. 217 and Italeri No. 6001 "Scots Greys", with very extensive conversions of the horses.
The heads with the bearskins come from Hat kit No. 8170 French Guard Chasseurs.
Painting medium: oil paint
LG Egbert
Bild

Salaberry

Beitrag von Salaberry » So 19. Jan 2020, 16:58

Egbert hat geschrieben:
Di 14. Jan 2020, 16:01
Salaberry hat geschrieben:
Mo 13. Jan 2020, 15:26
...Pray tell, there is a question that has plagued me from the get go: where did you get the horses for your dio ?
Modified Revell ?
Sala
Hey Sala,
I used kits from Esci No. 217 and Italeri No. 6001 "Scots Greys", with very extensive conversions of the horses.
The heads with the bearskins come from Hat kit No. 8170 French Guard Chasseurs.
Painting medium: oil paint
Ha! :o , "very extensive modifications" to say the least.
Never would have guessed for the chasseurs' heads.

Interesting to compare the Dr Frankensteins' methods we use :D

Alright, and for the next part: an howitzer is going into the pond.

The British regiments were so unprepared to take on a battery of artillery that no trooper had bothered to bring nails to block the firing holes on the guns.
I read somewhere that a few pieces were however overturned by dismounted troopers so that the French couldn't use them anymore.

Here, the troopers are trying to turn/run an howitzer into a watering hole. The sergeant is looking anxiously over is shoulder, seeing the enemy about to arrive on them.
FSHF 08.jpg
FSHF 08.jpg (1.16 MiB) 1421 mal betrachtet
FSHF 08A.jpg
FSHF 08A.jpg (1.06 MiB) 1421 mal betrachtet
FSHF 08B BIS.jpg
FSHF 08B BIS.jpg (1.01 MiB) 1421 mal betrachtet
FSHF 08C BIS.jpg
FSHF 08C BIS.jpg (778.18 KiB) 1421 mal betrachtet
FSHF 08D.jpg
FSHF 08D.jpg (1.57 MiB) 1421 mal betrachtet
More to come later.

Sala

Wolfgang
Administrator

Beitrag von Wolfgang » So 19. Jan 2020, 18:20

Sehr schöne Details! Ich finde die Szene mit der Haubitze sehr gut gelungen. Deine Umbauten sind wirklich klasse und man kann den Ablauf in der ganzen Szenerie sehr gut nachverfolgen. Sehr realistisch und stimmig!
Liebe Grüße, Wolle

Bild

Cryns

Beitrag von Cryns » Mo 27. Jan 2020, 17:14

Hello Sala,

My congratulations with the finishing of your diorama. I am especially surprised by the wide variation of crops and vegetation, both agricultural as wild species. But of course its also a good historical representation of this specific part of the battle. Good research and use of colors. Surprising little action scenes and interactions between different personalities.

Regards,

Cryns

Antworten